Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This is Disturbing.

(This post has been updated and has changed from it's original content)

I ran across this piece of news a few days ago and, I have to say, it’s a little worrisome.
This news piece is about a Department of Justice memo basically saying they can kill any American citizen without due process (outside of America).
And here  is the actual text of the memo.

So to sum this up, our government has decided that it has the power to kill American citizens outside of this country if they deem it necessary. I know that it says there are restrictions and that three conditions must be met. However the final call comes down to the President declaring a person to be a threat, with our without evidence, and that person can be eliminated.

Now I have always been of the mind that if you take up arms against this country, and you are a citizen, then you have committed treason and have voluntarily forfeited your constitutional rights. Much the same way if a person breaks into your home with the intention of harming you or your family he has given up his rights to life and liberty and you may defend yourself accordingly. If you choose to attack American soldiers or citizens you should be ready to face the consequences. My worry is the possibility of the  misuse of this power. The white paper leaves what could be a lot of leeway in it, especially when it calls for there not to be a need for evidence.
I've kind of alluded to this sort of thing before. Any law or regulation that doesn’t clearly state its boundaries and goals can be used way out of context to achieve things it was never meant to lead to. On the flip side, I also understand that the battlefield is not a place for lengthy deliberation and that sometimes action needs to happen alot sooner rather than later.

Basically, my fear is about just how far this power can be taken. I'm not saying our government is going to start bombing political dissenters during the next election. I'm just pointing some stuff out.
I should hopefully have some more posts coming soon. I’ve been writing a bunch of different things so as to build up a buffer to avoid long breaks between posts.
Thank you for reading. God bless all of you and God bless the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment